Published by Del Rey on May 19th 2015
“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”
Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.
Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.
The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.
But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.
Hey guys! I’m just gonna jump straight into this one!
Every once in a while, a book comes around that is super hyped up. Everybody seems to love it and it seems like something you’d like. 70% of the time, you do like the book. The other 30%? Nope. That’s how it was for me with Uprooted!
WHY I DNF’D
Uprooted started off well! I liked the premise and the main character in the beginning. Once she escaped the tower while the Dragon was out, it all went downhill. I was super confused as to what was going on. I didn’t understand why she went BACK! She escaped this evil Dragon dude and CAME BACK TO HIM! I guess this was setting up the romance? I’ll complain about that later.
The fantasy elements confused me. You guys KNOW that I have a problem with fantasy. I didn’t really understand the premise to begin with and once the magic and spells started I was done. The whole thing with Kasia and the woods made me crazy because it was so confusing and I didn’t understand what I was reading.
The romance was WEIRD. The Dragon was mean to her! He bullied her, and not in the normal way. The only relationship in YA that I can relate to this is Rowan and Aelin. With them, Rowan warmed up to Aelin and became NICE to her, thus their romance started. The Dragon was MEAN AS EVER when their romance started! He was downright abusive. There was no buildup to their romance. No feelings. No desires. All of a sudden, he just kissed her! And then there was the scene that followed. Honestly? It was distasteful. I don’t have any problems with sex scenes, but the feelings have to be there. I don’t want to read about some hookup; that’s what this felt like to me.
I DNF’d Uprooted at about page 180. Once that scene happened, I was done. I’m pretty good at DNFing books I don’t like, and I knew it was time with Uprooted. I apologize to everyone who loved this book!
That’s it! I hope you enjoyed reading my DNF review of Uprooted!
Have you read Uprooted? Did you like it? Let me know in the comments!